Experience the wonders of an Iowa winter at Coralville’s annual WinterFest. Enjoy a showcase of winter-time demonstrations, indoor and outdoor hands-on activities, entertainment, lunch specials, and frosty fun for all ages.
When (see also event schedule below): Saturday, January 21, 2023, 10:30 am-4:00 pm
Where (see also event schedule below):
- Iowa River Power Pedestrian Bridge
- Riverfront Park, E. 7th St. & E. 2nd Ave.
- Locations in the Iowa River Landing
Map: See WinterFest 2023 map (PDF)
Cost: All events are free.
Coralville WinterFest 2023 Event Schedule
Samuel Kirkwood Eagle Watch • 10:30 am-1:30 pm
Iowa River Power Pedestrian Bridge and Restaurant Parking area (501 1st Ave.)
- View eagles through scopes (Iowa City Bird Club)
- Make an eagle mask (Coralville Parks and Recreation)
- Hot chocolate and warming station (Coralville Parks and Recreation)
- Discuss eagle habitat and feeding patterns with raptor experts (Iowa Raptor Project)
- Learn to use binoculars to view eagles and the Iowa River ecosystem (Johnson County Conservation)
- Bald Eagle mount display (US Army Corp of Engineers, Coralville Lake)
- Water safety Information about lakes and rivers (US Army Corp of Engineers, Coralville Lake)
Old Fashioned Outdoor Fun • 11:30 am-3:00 pm*
Riverfront Park, E. 7th Street & E. 2nd Avenue
- Ice industry demonstration: Load a steel runner sled with blocks of ice and see what it was like to pull the sleds (Coralville 150th Anniversary Committee)
- Snowshoes: Try out a variety of snow shoes, from current models to homemade gear that may have been used 150 years ago (Coralville 150th Anniversary Committee)
- Broom ball game: Use corn brooms and balls to score goals on the temporary court. Equipment provided; wear boots or other street shoes. (Coralville Parks and Recreation)
- Snow painting: Create a watercolor snow painting using spray bottles and food coloring. (Coralville Parks and Recreation)
- Hot chocolate and warm-up station (Impact 7G)
*Outdoor events that require snow or ice may be subject to cancelation if the weather has not provided these conditions. Kite decorating and flying and hacky sacks are planned as alternate activities..
WinterFest Events in Iowa River Landing • 1:00 - 4:00 pm
Backpocket Brewing (903 Quarry Road):
- Rootbeer tasting
Theatre Fun at the CCPA Rehearsal Hall (860 Quarry Road):
- Penguin puppets: create your own hand puppet and let it strut its stuff on an ice cube stage
- Create a dance to familiar winter-themed music
- Snow-themed acting and improv games
- Free Pedal Power Pedicab pick up and drop off location
Johnson County Historical Museum (200 E. 9th St., Suite 101):
- Winter-themed storytimes at 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 pm with the Coralville Public Library
- Take a winter scene picture with the Coralville Public Library
- Print a special Winterfest ticket on the printing press
- Children's Activity and Museum is open for free
Xtream Arena Lobby (200 E. 9th St.):
- Visit Dash from The Heartlanders
- Take a walking tour of the historical photos used on the arena concourse.
- Build with ramps and blocks to create pathways to roll balls with The Iowa Children's Museum
- Catch a carriage ride outside the front doors of the lobby (Blue Moon Carriage Rides)
- See photos featuring 150 years of Coralville history
- Coralville apparel available for purchase
Ice Skating at Xtream Arena (200 E. 9th St.), 1:30-3:30 pm:
- Skate the Xtream Arena ice sheet
- Bring your own skates; subject to inspection. Free admission. Will need to sign a waiver to participate.
- The latest time that guests will be admitted to the ice will be 3:05 pm.
- Active Endeavors (920 E. 2nd Ave, Suite 160): warm up at the firepit and make smores with the staff.
- Winestyles (920 E. 2nd Ave, Suite 115): free hot cider for everyone and wine specials for adults.
- Funky Zebras (923 E. 2nd Ave.): spin the WinterFest discount wheel for a good deal.
Things to Know
Before You Go
How to Dress
Dress in layers. The first 200 attendees will receive a pair of disposable hand warmers to keep fingers toasty!
- Iowa River Power Restaurant, 501 1st Ave. (must exit by 4:00 pm)
- Top level of the Coralville Intermodal Parking Ramp, 906 Quarry Rd., east of Hilton Homewood Suites (four-hour limit)
- West Parking Ramp in the Iowa River Landing, 105 E. 9th St. (four-hour limit)
- Streets in the Iowa River Landing (two-hour limit)
- GreenState Family Fieldhouse VIP lot, north of E. 7th Street across from Riverfront Park (must exit by 4:00 pm)
Smoking is not allowed at WinterFest events.
Pets are discouraged at WinterFest with the exception of service animals.
WinterFest is organized and sponsored by the City of Coralville, with support from the participating organizations and businesses listed above.
- Tribute Eatery & Bar (901 E. 2nd Ave., Suite 100): Free kids brunch with the purchase of an adult meal from 10:30 am-2:30 pm.
- Continue the WinterFest celebration all weekend long by attending an Iowa Heartlanders hockey game! Purchase through this link for a discount on hockey tickets; proceeds will benefit WinterFest. Hockey ticket discount
*Select businesses are offering lunch specials during WinterFest. Specials are subject to change. Inclusion does not imply sponsorship of WinterFest. Contact individual businesses for information.
Volunteer at WinterFest 2023
Help create winter fun by volunteering at WinterFest!
We have both indoor and outdoor volunteer opportunities. At our outdoor locations, we’ll keep the hot chocolate flowing, will provide hand warmers, and will have warm-up stations in the area of our outdoor events. We won’t leave you stranded in the cold but we will leave you with a smile on your face as you watch everyone having a wonderful winter good time.
Coralville Is Celebrating 150 Years
Some events listed above (including the ice industry demonstration and showshoes) are part of a series of free community events this year to celebrate Coralville's sesquicentennial; Coralville will celebrate its 150th anniversary on October 3, 2023. Coralville's 150th anniversary webpage