Operating a Business in Coralville

Business License

City of Coralville does not require a general business license. However, all businesses, including non-profit organizations, are required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy from the City of Coralville to operate.

Certificate of Occupancy & Zoning Compliance

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for any new structure, existing structures, and for any change in use. It certifies that at the time of issuance, the structure was in compliance with the ordinances regulating building construction or use, and conformed with the City Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Compliance.

The Certificate of Occupancy and Zoning Compliance is necessary even if no building permit is required or if a change of use occurred. Please contact the Building Department at 319.248.1720.

Building Information

New construction, remodeling, or relocating a business requires submitting construction plan drawings and an application in order to obtain a building permit.  Through plan review and on-site inspections, a building permit ensures that new and remodel construction complies with the adopted building and fire codes and with all safety and maintenance requirements.

Fire Safety Permit

Coralville City Ordinance 2008-1011 requires any business in the City of Coralville to have an annual fire safety permit. Contact the Coralville Fire Department at 319.248.1835 to obtain a permit application.

Sign Permit

sign permit is required for the installation of all signage.

Zoning & Land Use

General Information

When looking for a business location, contact the Building and Zoning Department at 319.248.1720 to verify and obtain general zoning and land use information and allowable uses in various zoning districts. 

Zoning Map

The zoning map for Coralville is a layer on the Johnson County Property Information Viewer. To view this layer within the map, click on “Layer List,” and check both the boxes for “Zoning (Some Cities)” and “Coralville.” View zoning map
Zoning Map clicks