A Look Back
Coralville Fire Department's HistoryThe Coralville Volunteer Fire Department was organized on December 2, 1929. It consisted of a chief, an assistant chief, and 12 firefighters.
First ApparatusThe first piece of apparatus was a used two-wheeled hose cart and 1,000 feet of hose. An early City ordinance read, “The Fire Chief, at the time of the fire, may require any owner of any team of horses or automobile or any citizen to assist in hauling firefighting apparatus to a fire.”
First Fire HouseThe first fire house was rented from a local citizen for $3 per month. In 1937, a new two-stall fire station was built across the street from City Hall, then located on 2nd Avenue, for $965. The Department purchased their first fire truck that year.
In 1969, the City annexed the Oakdale area, and the Oakdale Fire Department’s 1953 pumper was turned over to the Coralville Fire Department. In 1967 the Department was moved into the building on 5th Street which presently houses the Coralville Police Department.