Fireworks Regulations in Coralville
Consumer Fireworks Are BannedUsing consumer fireworks is not allowed in Coralville. Do not shoot off fireworks in Coralville.
- It is illegal to use any fireworks in Coralville, with the exception of fireworks displays handled by insured operators and approved by City authorities.
- Violators face a minimum fine of $250 and can be held liable for damages they cause.
- Fireworks are prohibited in many surrounding communities.
Novelty Fireworks Novelty fireworks such as sparklers, snakes, or snaps remain legal.
- Even if you buy fireworks in Coralville, you cannot use them in the City of Coralville.
- If you buy fireworks, you must store them safely and securely according to the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines from the National Fire Protection Agency.
- The State made it legal to sell consumer fireworks in Iowa, and passed a law requiring cities to allow the sale of consumer fireworks in commercial and industrial zoning districts.
- Fireworks sales require a license from the State.
Photo credit: Lucas Johnson
Leave the Show in the Skies to the ProsIf you are thinking about shooting off fireworks in Coralville, think again:
- Discharging fireworks risks injury, fire, and property damage.
- The sound of fireworks exploding can distress pets, veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and children.
- Fireworks are extremely dangerous and should be used only by trained and insured professionals.
- According to the National Fire Protection Agency, in 2018, fireworks caused an estimated 19,500 reported fires in the U.S. and in 2018, an estimated 9,100 people were seen in a U.S. hospital emergency room as a result of fireworks-related injuries.
How to Get Rid of Unused FireworksIf you have unused fireworks to get rid of, contact the Coralville Fire Department at 319.248.1835 to make a drop-off appointment for safe disposal.
Report a Concern
To report a concern regarding the use of illegal fireworks:
- Call the Police non-emergency line at 319.248.1800
- Provide the location and any additional information
- Police will respond to fireworks-related calls as officers are available
- Dial 911 only for emergencies
Where to See Fireworks
Enjoy Coralville’s annual 4thFest fireworks display:
- July 4 beginning at 9:45 pm during 4thFest.
- Fireworks are discharged by trained pyrotechnicians from the Coralville Fire Department