Fireworks Regulations in Coralville
Consumer Fireworks Are Banned
Using consumer fireworks is not allowed in Coralville. Do not shoot off fireworks in Coralville.
- It is illegal to use any fireworks in Coralville, with the exception of fireworks displays handled by insured operators and approved by City authorities.
- Violators face a minimum fine of $250 and can be held liable for damages they cause.
- Fireworks are prohibited in many surrounding communities.
Novelty fireworks such as sparklers, snakes, or snaps remain legal.
- The State made it legal to sell consumer fireworks in Iowa, and passed a law requiring cities to allow the sale of consumer fireworks in commercial and industrial zoning districts.
- Fireworks sales require a license from the State.
- Even if you buy fireworks in Coralville, you cannot use them in the City of Coralville.
- If you buy fireworks, you must store them safely and securely according to the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines from the National Fire Protection Agency.
Leave the Show in the Skies to the Pros
If you are thinking about shooting off fireworks in Coralville, think again:
- Discharging fireworks risks injury, fire, and property damage.
- The sound of fireworks exploding can distress pets, veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and children.
- Fireworks are extremely dangerous and should be used only by trained and insured professionals.
- According to the National Fire Protection Agency, in 2021, fireworks caused an estimated 12,264 reported fires in the U.S. and in 2021, an estimated 11,500 people were seen in a U.S. hospital emergency room as a result of fireworks-related injuries.
How to Get Rid of Unused Fireworks
If you have unused fireworks to get rid of, contact the Coralville Fire Department at 319.248.1835 to make a drop-off appointment for safe disposal.
Report a Concern
To report a concern regarding the use of illegal fireworks:
- Call the Police non-emergency line at 319.248.1800
- Provide the location and any additional information
- Police will respond to fireworks-related calls as officers are available
- Dial 911 only for emergencies
Where to See Fireworks
Enjoy Coralville’s annual 4thFest fireworks display:
- On July 4 beginning at approximately 9:45 pm during 4thFest.
- Fireworks are discharged by trained pyrotechnicians from the Coralville Fire Department