E. 9th Street
E. 9th Street Improvements: 1st Avenue to Quarry Road
This project will enhance the E. 9th Street corridor with the addition of landscaped center medians, new north-south crosswalks, curb bump outs to establish parallel parking areas, completion of the brick paver streetscape along the south side of E. 9th Street, and conversion of the E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue intersection into a four-leg roundabout.
The project will be completed in two phases.
Phase 1: Mid October-December 2019 (Complete)
Construction on this stretch of E. 9th Street included:
- Two raised center medians west of E. 2nd Avenue to create a dedicated eastbound left turn lane onto Ponseti Way.
- Southerly halves of two north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the south side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to better define the parallel parking stalls.
- New driveway just west of the current driveway used by both the Johnson County Historical Society and the Antique Car Museum of Iowa. The driveway extends along the east side of Xtream Arena. The museum parking lot will connect to this driveway.
Phase 2: March-August 13, 2020
- Two raised center medians east of E. 2nd Avenue.
- Additional north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the north side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to establish parallel parking areas and shorten crosswalk distances.
- Pedestrian streetscape (brick pavers, street trees, etc.) along the south side of E. 9th Street to mirror the existing north side streetscape.
- Roundabout at E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue.
Traffic control (as of July 24, 2020):
Progress July 24-31, 2020:
Progress July 24-31, 2020:
- Brick masonry and cap stone work in the roundabout central island is substantially complete.
- Continued pouring subslabs and installing brick pavers along the south side of E. 9th St.
- Installed bollards on the Xtream Arena side of the roundabout.
- Around 10:00 am on Monday, August 3, a belt placer will be positioned near the roundabout to help load granular material and amended soil into the roundabout central island. This will require the closure of eastbound E. 9th St. at Ponseti Way until late Monday afternoon. Eastbound drivers will be detoured north on Ponseti Way and east on Iowa River Landing Place. Westbound E. 9th St will remain open from Quarry Rd to 1st Ave.
- After Monday, the remaining work within the roundabout central island will be electrical, lighting, and landscaping. This work can be completed from the roundabout truck apron and we expect to open the eastbound left turn onto E. 2nd Ave on Tuesday.
- Complete concrete subslabs and continue installing brick pavers for the streetscape along south side of E. 9th St.
- Install LED lighting within the roundabout central island railing and complete electrical work for the roundabout uplights.
- Install street light poles and sign posts in areas where streetscape is complete.
- The project has a substantial completion date of August 13, 2020. However, most of the work occurring in early August will not impact traffic on E. 9th Street. The planting window for landscaping starts on August 15.
Another route into the Iowa River LandingE. 7th Street between 1st Avenue & Quarry Road
- As with any roundabout, drivers must yield to their LEFT before entering a roundabout.
- Watch for construction traffic passing through this roundabout with material and equipment heading to and from the Arena project.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards during construction
- Check local news for media releases