Iowa River Trail
Iowa River Trail: Rocky Shore Drive to Clear Creek
The Iowa River Trail was constructed from Rocky Shore Drive to Clear Creek. This project included two prefabricated steel truss bridges over Clear Creek and a 10-foot-wide concrete trail from Rocky Shore Drive to connect to the Iowa River Trail on the north side of Clear Creek.
Update: The trail opened for public use on June 22, 2021. An opening ceremony is planned for a later date.
- Start: Site preparation began in October 2020
- Estimated completion: A majority of the project, including bridge placement and trail paving, is scheduled for completion by July 1, 2021
- Trail opening: The trail opened for public use in late June 2021.
June 22, 2021: Trail open for public use
May 17-26, 2021:
- Wet weather has prevented the last 400 feet of trail from being paved at the east end near CRANDIC Park.
- Rip-rap is being placed along the river side of the trail. This section of trail will have a safety rail mounted to the concrete shoulder.
- Electrical/lighting work
- May 10-14, 2021:
- Entire paving width is poured to south end of old retaining wall. This section receives guardrail along its length.
- Macadam stone slope protection is installed
- Topsoil/finish work on north side is done or nearing completion
- Electrical/lighting nearly complete
- Benches, trash can, ornamental railing installed
- May 3-7, 2021:
- Dirt work was delayed May 3 & 4 due to heavy rains and muddy conditions
- Electrical/lighting: all light poles are set; work on conduit and boxes
- Adjusted grading along retaining wall
- Started topsoil/finish work on the north side
- April 12-16, 2021:
- Mason work on limestone veneer
- Macadam stone base placement and further subgrade preparation
- Subdrain placement behind retaining wall
- Finished macadam stone slope protection on north abutment.
- March 29-April 9, 2021:
- Bridge cleaning (power wash existing pier)
- Structural concrete coating on abutments
- Removed remaining required pavement on north, prepped subgrade
- Subgrade prep on south, density and moisture test on north for pavement
- Formed and poured concrete on the bridge approach and Clear Creek Trail segment
- Set forms for trail pour on north
- Poured trail segment on north of bridge; started installing veneer
- Bridge InstallationJanuary 2021:
- The two prefabricated 90' bridge sections were transported from Colfax, WI to Coralville on February 2
- On February 3, the two bridge sections were placed on site, spanning Clear Creek
- Finished the south retaining wall to wrap up the structural work until the bridges arrive
- Poured south abutment backwall and columns, and poured north retaining wall cap
- Rebar/formwork/pour on south retaining wall cap, and abutment wingwall rebar and formwork
- Finished drainage culverts on north and south of existing retaining wall, poured north abutment backwall and columns, placed rebar for south abutment backwall and columns, placed rebar for north retaining wall cap and formwork, and placed a portion of macadam stone slope protection at abutments.
- December 2020:
Drove piles and poured forms for north and south abutments
*Updated June 23, 2021
- Bid by the Iowa DOT on August 18, 2020
- Low bid: Peterson Contractors, Inc., at $1,250,395.65
- Funding: The project received $619,000 of DOT Surface Transportation Program funds with the balance funded by the City